Monday, June 29, 2015

Beautiful Places

Today started with storms and rain and wind but by midday it had cleared to balmy gorgeousness, and so I decided to take a walk with the dog. Recently my daughter's boyfriend told us about a circular beach walk that we hadn't known about it in 4 years of living here. It's called:



 It starts by walking up the aptly named Rottington Road, which involves a very steep hill:




The views, however, were well worth it. When you finally emerge from between the high hedgerows, the world spreads out before you like a living map: sea on one side and rolling pasture on the other, the sky high and blue above.



Have you ever seen something so beautiful you feel frustrated because you don't know if you can appreciate it enough? You look and look but it's as if you can't take it in; your heart hurts. I felt that way today and I recalled one of the first time I felt that way, when I was twelve and my parents took me on a trip to the Cotswolds. The memory was poignant as we are sad to leave Cumbria, but in moving to the Cotswolds we are going to another beautiful, heart-hurting place--I mean that in a good way, of course.

From the Rottington Road I turned onto the footpath that led to the sea, down grassy slopes dotted with sheep, a scene that was perfectly pastoral.


With lovely summer flowers along the way:



And helpful gates across the stiles:



And finally the sea emerged in the distance, like a promise:



And I finished with a lovely walk across the beach at low tide!



I will miss this place so much when we leave, but I was encouraged that beautiful places can be found just about anywhere, if you have the heart to look for them. I'll leave you with a last photo of the beck I passed. Can you see the mother duck with her ducklings? Rebirth is always happening.








3 comments:

  1. Thnk you for sharing your pictures. They are jut beasutiful. I started looking at the otherrs prior to this post. I love them. :). I magine you've already moved the Cotswolds and the pictures I've only ever seen have shown such lovelt cottages & amazing sceviews.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) .com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnk you for sharing your pictures. They are jut beasutiful. I started looking at the otherrs prior to this post. I love them. :). I magine you've already moved the Cotswolds and the pictures I've only ever seen have shown such lovelt cottages & amazing sceviews.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) .com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete